What causes it?
- Excessive alcohol
- Chronic hepatitis B or C infection
- Autoimmune liver conditions such as autoimmune hepatitis and primary biliary cirrhosis
- Metabolic disorders such as Wilson’s disease and Haemochromatosis
- Adverse reactions to some drugs such as methotrexate and vascular disorders of the liver.
What are the symptoms?
- Spider naevi – spider shaped capillaries on the skin
- Excessive bruising
- Jaundice (yellow discoloration of skin and eyes)
- Altered liver size
- Enlarged spleen
- Clubbing of the ends of the fingers
- Ascites (fluid build up in the abdomen)
- Swelling of the limbs with fluid (edema)
- A flapping tremor of the hands
- Mental confusion and disorientation
- Esophageal varices
- “The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book“ This book has a section on cirrhosis answering many of your questions in regards to nutritional support for this condition. This book is essential reading for anyone suffering from this disease or any other condition of the liver or bowels.
- “Raw Juices Can Save your Life“ Raw vegetable juices are a critical component of any nutritional program.
- “Magnesium the Miracle Mineral. You won’t believe the difference it makes to your health!“ This book discusses magnesium as being essential for hundreds of chemical reactions that take place in the body every second, with recent findings also indicating that it offers a wide range of important health promoting benefits.
If the patient is in “liver failure” he/she should follow a low protein diet, which will produce less ammonia and should obtain protein from legumes, nuts and grains and seeds, and avoid all meats including poultry. It is not possible to avoid all ammonia containing foods, as proteins are broken down into ammonia and then to urea for elimination by the kidneys.
Raw juices are an incredibly powerful healing tool and can improve the function of the liver, bowels and kidneys. This increases the elimination of toxins and waste products from the skin.
Livatone Plus Powder or Livatone Plus Capsules
- Take 1 teaspoon twice daily in raw juices or water or 2 capsules twice daily with meals - A good combination with a synergistic mix of herbs, vitamins and minerals which may stimulate the phase 1 and 2 detox pathways in the liver – therefore supporting general liver function.
Selenium Complete Tablets or Selenomune Energy capsules
- Take 1 tablet or 1 capsule daily. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant mineral that works to assist in the protection against further damage to liver cells.
Magnesium Complete Tablets or Magnesium Ultra Potent powder
- Take 2 tablets twice daily or 1 teaspoon daily. Cirrhosis causes magnesium levels to be low.
- Take between one and three capsules daily. Along with selenium, n-acetyl cysteine is the raw material for glutathione production. Glutathione is strongly anti-inflammatory and a powerful detoxification agent.
MSM plus Vitamin C powder
- Take 1/2 teaspoon twice daily in juice or water- MSM is an organic sulphur food powder. Sulphur may assist in softening and preventing further scar tissue.
• If you want to improve liver function you must avoid dairy products such as ice cream, milk and cream – dairy foods contain high levels of antibiotics, steroids and artificial growth hormones, as this is what the herds are treated with in today’s high tech dairies to prevent disease and boost milk production. Even organic dairy products are very high in hormones, because breast milk is naturally high in hormones. As with humans where substances go through into breast milk, it is the same for cattle – only they neglect to tell you this in the advertisements when they are telling you how great milk is.
• Avoid deep fried food, margarine and industrial seed oils
• Avoid sugar. It can do just as much harm to the liver as alcohol.
• Avoid artificial sweeteners. Use Stevia
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.