What causes it?
- Hormonal imbalances such as an under active thyroid gland.
- Taking the oral contraceptive pill or potent hormone replacement therapy
- Kidney problems
- Sluggish liver function.
- Liver disease.
- Heart disease and heart failure.
- Problems with the lymphatic system.
- Varicose veins, which cause fluid retention in the legs
- Food allergies and being overweight.
Treatment and general recommendations
- Fluid retention is made worse by poor diet, lack of exercise and using artificial sweeteners.
- It is best to avoid diuretic drugs if possible, as in the long term they may actually increase fluid retention, and on stopping a diuretic the fluid retention will initially get worse.
- Losing weight if you are overweight will often resolve the problem. Physiotherapy with special binding techniques can improve lymphoedema.
- Treatment of the underlying cause of fluid retention is certainly the first step.
- If you are taking oral synthetic HRT or the wrong type of contraceptive pill this can also play a part in the retention of fluid. Women with a lymphatic body type are better off on the natural hormonal creams rather than the troches.
- Massages incorporating lymphatic drainage can be helpful – see a qualified practitioner.
- Include often foods which have a diuretic effect including celery, cucumber, apples, artichokes, rockmelon, watermelon, parsley, fresh dandelion greens, watercress, fennel, papaya, pineapple, garlic and dill.
- Converse to what you may think you should also drink plenty of water, approximately 8 to 10 glasses daily.
- Base your diet on protein and vegetables and reduce your intake of carbohydrate rich foods such as flour, bread, pasta, rice and breakfast cereals.
- Consider the possibility of food allergies; an elimination diet avoiding dairy products, wheat and other grains which are the most common culprits may be worthwhile.
- If you are taking a potassium losing diuretic, consume potassium-rich foods like nuts, sunflower seeds, fruits and vegetables including bananas, apricots, citrus fruits, parsley, spinach, broccoli and carrots.
- Hot spicy foods are good for reducing fluid retention, such as – chilli, turmeric, curries, garlic and ginger etc
- Buckwheat contains valuable rutin to strengthen the veins and lymphatic vessels.
FOODS TO AVOID
- ALL DAIRY PRODUCTS – this is VITAL
- Potato chips
- Salted nuts
- Fizzy drinks
- Foods containing refined sugars, honey and glucose.
Orthodox Medical Treatment
- Take 1 teaspoon stirred into fresh raw juices or water twice daily or 2 capsules twice daily before meals – Liver tonics containing St Mary’s Thistle, B vitamins and Taurine will help stimulate the phase 1 and 2 detox pathways in the liver and stimulate and improve fat burning efficiency.
- Take 1 tablet three times daily before food to help assist with fluid retention. Lymphatic body type tablets help with:
- Eliminating mucus and toxins
- Improving the lymphatic system
- Reducing cellulite
- Boosting a sluggish metabolic rate
- Relieving fluid retention
- Take 1 – 3 tablets before meals. Fluid retention, bloating, puffy arms and legs, cellulite, pre menstrual bloating and congestion, aching legs and varicose vein symptoms can be helped naturally, without side side effects by taking this natural diuretic.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.