What are the causes of headaches?
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS, peri-menopause, side effects of OCP or HRT.
- Liver dysfunction
- High blood pressure
- Food sensitivities
- Sinus, dental and ear infections
- Blood sugar problems
- Exposure to chemical toxins
It is important to see your doctor for tests to exclude serious causes of headaches, particularly if the headaches are constant, severe or frequent in nature.
What tests may be required?
- CAT scans of the head and neck
- Blood tests to check your immune system, liver and kidney function, hormonal levels and a full blood count.
- General physical examination
- Check up with a neurologist (in cases of severe chronic headaches).
- It is best to avoid common trigger foods such as: chocolate, dairy products, wheat, preservatives, MSG, sugar, nuts, pickles, yeast, tobacco and alcohol.
- You may have a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity that is promoting headaches.
- Try to include more raw foods, particularly radishes, celery and foods high in omega-3 oils such as oily fish.
- Maintain blood sugar levels by eating regular protein from eggs, seafood, poultry, red meat, protein powder and nuts and seeds.
- All migraine sufferers should ensure a good intake of water with the aim of drinking 8 to 10 glasses daily. This will help improve the circulation of blood to the brain. Dehydration will increase the frequency and severity of headaches.
- Chiropractic therapy can be beneficial for many headache sufferers.
- Consult with your healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist.
Livatone Plus powder or capsules
- Take 1 teaspoon twice daily or 2 capsules twice daily with food. Most migraine headaches are usually associated with nausea and vomiting. In these instances it is important to improve the function of the liver.
Magnesium Complete tablets or Ultra Potent powder
- Take 2 tablets twice daily or one teaspoon daily to get the headaches under control. Magnesium plays an essential role in maintaining and promoting efficient muscle function and nerve transmission. It is a potent muscle relaxant and is therefore useful in muscle spasms, twitches, cramping, headache and relief of pain.
Fish Oil Capsules
- Take 2 capsules before meals twice daily – fish oil supplements can help exert an anti-inflammatory effect reducing the inflammatory component of headaches.
- Take 1 capsule daily to help improve circulation.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.