What is Gilbert’s Syndrome?
Gilbert’s Syndrome is an inherited disorder where there is a defect in the ability of the liver to excrete bile pigment (bilirubin). Bilirubin is a major breakdown product of hemoglobin, which is the pigment that carries oxygen in the red blood cells. The increase in blood bilirubin can lead to yellow skin and eye discoloration (jaundice), which is usually very mild, but can fluctuate in degree.
How is it diagnosed?
Gilbert’s Syndrome is detected by finding a slightly raised bilirubin level in the blood with no other abnormalities of liver function. There are no signs of liver disease.
What is Bilirubin?
Bilirubin is the major breakdown product that results from the destruction of old red blood cells (as well as some other sources). It is removed from the blood by the liver, chemically modified by a process called conjugation. Conjugation makes the bilirubin water soluble, this allows the bilirubin to be excreted into the bile. The Bile is excreted into the small intestine via the bile ducts. The bile is required to digest food. The bile is the pigment that gives feces their brown color.
Is Gilbert’s syndrome common?
It is surprisingly common, affecting 2% to 5% of the population.
What are the symptoms?
Gilbert’s Syndrome is generally harmless and does not produce any symptoms, although some sufferers complain of excessive fatigue. Some sufferers have a reduce tolerance to alcohol and drugs. Gilbert’s Syndrome does not require medical treatment or long term medical attention, and patients with this syndrome should not be led to believe that they have a liver disease. The major importance of establishing the correct diagnosis is so that the patient can be informed they do not have a serious disease, and unnecessary investigations can be avoided in the future.
Those with Gilbert’s Syndrome need only follow a healthy diet and avoid liver toxins such as excessive alcohol and liver toxic drugs. Bilirubin levels tend to rise if the diet is poor, and during fasting, or mild illnesses, which may cause the skin to yellow.
- Follow The Liver Cleansing Diet by Dr Cabot or the twelve vital principles in The Healthy liver and Bowel Book by Dr Cabot. Include often – legumes, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables, beetroot, artichoke, carrots, turmeric, lecithin. Indeed, 40 percent of the diet should consist of raw fruits and vegetables with an emphasis on green leafy vegetables.
- Drink eight glasses of water daily. Purified water with lemon is also excellent. Avoid – all processed and refined foods, refined sugars, fatty foods, fried foods, ‘junk’ foods, coffee, tea and soft drinks. Avoid overeating; eat small regular meals.
- Avoid ALL margarines and similar type spreads manufactured from hydrogenated damaged fats.
- Avoid deep fried and fatty foods.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – see www.dorway.com
- The Liver Cleansing Diet contains the eight week eating plan to improve liver function.
- The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book
lots more liver friendly recipes, vital principles to follow long term for a healthy liver and more detailed information about specific conditions.
- Raw Juices Can Save Your Life Dr Cabot’s juice book contains carefully designed juices to help with common health problems – this is a complete A to Z Guide of diseases and their specific healing juices.
Dr Cabot has known about the incredible healing power of raw juices from a very young age. Her grandmother’s life was saved by raw juicing back in the 1930s. Raw juices are an incredibly powerful healing tool and can improve the function of the liver, bowels and kidneys. This increases the elimination of toxins and waste products from the skin.
Appropriate juice recipes are:
‘Liver Tonic Juice’ and a ‘Liver Cleansing Juice’ can be found on p116 of Dr Cabot’s Raw Juices Can Save Your Life book.
Supplements to Support Liver Function
A specific liver tonic which contains a high dose of the herb Milk Thistle with a high standardized concentration of the active ingredient silymarin. This liver tonic would also contain additional supporting nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
MSM Plus Vitamin C powder
MSM (Methyl-Sulphonyl-Methane) is an organic form of the mineral sulphur. Sulphur is a vital component of healthy bile. Sulphur is needed to produce the powerful liver antioxidant called glutathione. Vitamin C will neutralize free radicals generated during the phase 1 detoxification pathway in the liver. Toxic chemicals are far less dangerous if there is plenty of vitamin C in the liver.
|Livatone Liver Tonic 240 Capsules |
|$40.00||+ Add to Cart|
|Livatone Liver Tonic 120 Capsules |
|$25.00||+ Add to Cart|
|MSM Plus Vitamin C Powder 100 Grams |
|$20.00||+ Add to Cart|
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases.