What is serrapeptase?
Serrapeptase is an enzyme that was first discovered in the intestine of silkworms. This enzyme is necessary in order for the silkworm to dissolve the hard cocoon it is surrounded by, when it is ready to emerge as a moth. The silkworm also uses this enzyme to allow it to feed on tough mulberry leaves. These days, serrapeptase supplements are not derived from silkworms; the enzyme is derived from a natural fermentation process. Serrapeptase is a protease enzyme; that means it has the ability to digest protein. Research has shown this remarkable enzyme can help to dissolve non-living tissue in the body such as cysts, swellings, plaque and scar tissue.
Serrapeptase helps to reduce inflammation in the body
Excessive inflammation is a feature of just about every disease and is present in any condition where pain, fatigue and fluid retention are present. But what causes inflammation? These are the most common causes:
- Elevated blood sugar. Certainly diabetics experience a great deal of inflammation in their bodies because of elevated blood sugar, but you don’t have to be a diabetic to experience this. Regularly consuming sugar, grains and high glycemic load foods will flood your bloodstream with glucose. Sugar is sticky and it can bind to proteins in your body and damage them.
- Infections. Any type of bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic infection raises inflammation because your immune cells produce massive quantities of inflammatory chemicals as they try to fight the infection. This is particularly a problem in chronic, long term infections.
- Food allergy, intolerance and sensitivity. Whenever you consume a food you are sensitive to, your body behaves as though you swallowed something harmful, such as a virus or bacteria. As your immune system tries to cope with this scenario, it produces a host of inflammatory chemicals. This can become a significant problem if you unknowingly eat this food(s) every day.
- Stress. Unfortunately the hormones your body produces while you are stressed cause inflammatory damage, free radical damage and a great deal of wear and tear to your body. Magnesium helps to counter some of this damage.
- Lack of sleep or poor quality sleep. Good solid sleep is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory remedies there is, and it’s free and feels great. Unfortunately most people know this but try as they might, they can’t get good sleep consistently. Insomnia or just poor quality sleep is endemic in modern society.
- Lack of antioxidants in your diet. All of the various conditions listed above cause your body to use up vitamins, minerals and antioxidants at a much faster rate. The problem is, most people don’t replenish their bodies with nutrients sufficiently. Ideally you would consume a raw vegetable salad for lunch and dinner each day and include a glass of raw vegetable juice most days of the week.
- Injuries, accidents and surgery are a major physical stress on the body and these processes all generate a great volume of inflammatory chemicals. These inflammatory chemicals are very useful in acute conditions and are necessary for the recovery process. Unfortunately many patients are left with chronic pain, swelling and immobility because the inflammatory process has continued for too long. Serrapeptase is excellent for these people.
How serrapeptase can help
Ideally you could reduce the level of inflammation in your body by addressing each of the points mentioned above. Unfortunately, this is not always possible and sometimes the source of inflammation cannot be identified and remains hidden.
Serrapeptase basically works by giving your insides a good clean up. Being a protein digesting enzyme, it helps to clear out protein deposits that are not serving a useful purpose in your body. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oedemic (reduces fluid retention) and fibrinolytic activity (helps to break down blood clots). It can help to clear mucus, fluid, blood clots, debris and immune complexes from your body. In this way it helps to reduce pain, improve mobility and increase energy. Serrapeptase helps to keep arteries clean and clear because it reduces the inflammation in arteries which is what promotes cholesterol accumulation and narrowing of the arteries.
How should serrapeptase be taken?
Serrapeptase must be taken on an empty stomach in order to obtain the systemic anti-inflammatory benefits. If you consume it with a meal, your body will use it to digest the food in your intestines. Therefore most people find it easiest to take serrapeptase first thing in the morning. You can eat half an hour later. A typical starting dose is between 80 000 and 250 000 IU per day.