Could CBD Oil Help Your Pain and Inflammation?
CBD oil is a hot topic right now. Are you aware of the benefits? An increasing amount of research is showing that CBD oil has proven health benefits and is a safe remedy for a number of common health problems. If you suffer from conditions such as pain, anxiety, and trouble sleeping, CBD oil could make a huge difference for you.
What is CBD oil?
CBD stands for cannabidiol. It is one of more than 100 chemical compounds known as cannabinoids found in the cannabis (marijuana) plant, botanically known as Cannabis sativa. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis. It is responsible for the sensation of getting high that’s typically associated with marijuana. CBD oil does not contain any THC. Therefore it can help you to feel calm and sleep well, but it will not make you high. It also means you will not fail a drug test if you take our CBD oil.
CBD oil is made by extracting CBD from the cannabis plant, then diluting it with a carrier oil such as hemp seed oil.
What are the health benefits of CBD oil?
CBD oil may be especially beneficial for the following conditions:
- Pain. Marijuana has a long history of use in the treatment of pain. Recently scientists have learned that CBD oil has specific pain-reducing properties. Your body actually produces endocannabinoids, which are neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) that bind to cannabinoid receptors in your nervous system. Research has shown that CBD may help reduce chronic pain and inflammation via its effects on endocannabinoid receptor activity.
Research carried out on humans has shown a significant reduction in pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis, nerve pain and multiple sclerosis (MS). The people with MS also noticed a reduction in muscle spasms. CBD is especially beneficial for chronic, long term pain and pain that interferes with sleep. Chronic pain typically responds poorly to prescription medication, and a lot of pain-relieving drugs can have harmful side effects on your gut, liver, and kidneys. Some prescription pain killers are addictive; our CBD oil is not.
- Anxiety and depression. These are extremely common and can have a significant impact on quality of life. Prescription antidepressant medication does not work well enough for everyone, and some people are not able to take it due to side effects. Anxiety can be difficult to treat. Benzodiazepines are commonly prescribed, but they are highly addictive and best used very sparingly. I have always found magnesium to be extremely relaxing to the nervous system and muscles, but some patients need more help.
Research has shown CBD acts on the brain’s serotonin receptors, causing a beneficial effect on mood and social behavior. A study conducted on 24 people with social anxiety disorder found CBD beneficial for reducing anxiety associated with public speaking when they took 600 mg. Another study found it reduced the anguish associated with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Insomnia. CBD can help you to fall asleep sooner and wake less frequently in the night, if you suffer from insomnia. It can help you achieve a deeper quality of sleep so you won’t feel groggy or drowsy in the morning. CBD has calming properties that take effect quickly. It is especially beneficial for people who have trouble sleeping due to anxiety or pain. Melatonin and magnesium are both very helpful for sleeping problems, but stubborn or long-standing cases of insomnia may not respond well enough, and these cases can be greatly helped with CBD.
- Brain health. CBD has benefits for the health of your brain. It is popular with epileptics for reducing the incidence of seizures. It benefits the brain via its effects on your body’s endocannabinoid system. Many of my epileptic patients have experienced benefits from taking CBD. One study gave 214 people with severe epilepsy between 0.9 and 2.3 grams of CBD oil per pound of body weight. Their seizures were reduced by an average of 36.5 percent.
CBD has also been researched for its potential in treating several other neurological conditions. Some studies have shown that CBD improved quality of life and sleep quality for people with Parkinson’s disease. A long term mouse study using mice genetically predisposed to Alzheimer’s disease found it helped prevent cognitive decline.
- Nausea. CBD helps to relieve nausea and reduce vomiting. This is thought to be due to its effects on serotonin receptors. This has made it extremely popular with patients undergoing chemotherapy, where nausea can become a significant problem and lead to malnutrition.
Are there any side effects or contraindications?
CBD oil is widely regarded as safe and is well tolerated by the majority of people. Some studies have shown that a change in bowel habits, particularly looser stools is possible. Please discuss with your doctor if you’re not sure if CBD oil is appropriate for you.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.