What is fatty liver?
A normal healthy Liver
Note: it is slightly enlarged and yellow in colour and “shiny” or “greasy” in appearance because it is congested by fat
Severe Fatty Liver
This is a more severe degree of fatty liver and is more often due to incorrect diet, alcohol excess or obesity
Is it common?
Is it curable?
- Insulin resistance or Syndrome X
- Fatty Liver Syndrome
How long does it take to see results?
Is the Doctor correct? Can nothing be done? The answer is a resounding ‘NO!”
Thankfully the liver is one of the most resilient organs in the body. It is capable of much self healing if given a chance.
My “enzymes” are raised what does this mean?
Luckily the liver cells are very resilient and with proper diet and supplements they will repair and the enzyme levels will slowly come down over time in the case of simple fatty liver. This may take some months. It is also not uncommon for the enzyme levels to fluctuate up and down before they decrease.
What to do about fatty liver syndrome
Raw juices are an incredible powerful healing tool and can improve the function of the liver, bowels and kidneys. This increases the elimination of toxins and waste products from the skin. Juices are high in; vitamin C, bioflavonoids, carotenoids, living plant enzymes to aid digestion and vitamin K in green leafy vegetables . Appropriate juice recipes found “Raw Juices Can Save Your Life” book.
Recommended juices are:
- “Liver Tonic Juice” page 116
- “Liver Cleansing Juice” page 116
- “Antibiotic juice” page 45
- “Immune Dysfunction” page103
- “Infections” page105
- Avoid ALL margarines and similar type spreads
- Avoid deep fried and fatty foods.
- Avoid sugary processed foods and drinks
- Limit chicken and turkey that is not free range, as this contains artificial growth hormones, antibiotics and steroids that increase the liver’s workload.
- Drink 2 liters of water each day.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – see www.dorway.com
Healthy Sweetener Guide
- Sucralose (Splenda)
- Acesulfame-K (Sunette, Sweet & Safe, Sweet One)
Sweeteners to Use:
- Stevia *
- Barley Malt
- Evaporated Cane Juice
- Fruit Juice
- Rice Syrup
- Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) *
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Liver problems including fatty liver and hepatitis
- Weight excess
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Skin and hair problems
- Allergies and immune dysfunction
- Recurrent infections
- Irritable bowel syndrome and constipation
- Headaches and migraines
Raw juices are an incredibly powerful healing tool and can improve the function of the liver, bowels and kidneys. This increases the elimination of toxins and waste products from the skin. The fresh raw vegetable juices are vitally important. It is good to use both whole fruits and vegetables in the diet as well as the juices, as the juices provide an easily absorbable form of nutraceuticals that are very beneficial for the liver. Juices made freshly from raw fruits and/or vegetables have unique healing and rejuvenating properties. For those who feel they need an extra boost there is nothing better than having a raw juice everyday. It will brighten up the day by providing extra energy and endurance. Juices are unique because they allow the gut to receive very concentrated amounts of phyto-nutrients that could not be obtained by eating a normal amount of raw vegetables and fruits.
The Liver and Weight Loss
Vital Points for the Weight Conscious!
- The liver is the major fat burning organ in the body and regulates fat metabolism by a complicated set of biochemical pathways. The liver can also pump excessive fat out of the body through the bile into the small intestines. If the diet is high in fiber this unwanted fat will be carried out of the body via the bowel actions. Thus the liver is a remarkable machine for keeping weight under control being both a fat burning organ and a fat pumping organ.
- If the diet is low in fiber, some of the fats (especially cholesterol) and toxins that have been pumped by the liver into the gut through the bile will recirculate back to the liver. This occurs via the entero-hepatic circulation. The term entero-hepatic circulation describes the recirculation of fluids (consisting mainly of bile acids) from the gut back to the liver. The entero-hepatic circulation is very large, with approximately 95% of the bile acids being reabsorbed from the last section of the small intestine (ileum), into the portal vein to be carried back to the liver. The liver recirculates these bile acids back into the small intestines and the entire bile pool recycles through the entero-hepatic circulation six to eight times a day. If this recirculated fluid is high in fat and/or toxins, this will contribute to excessive weight. A high fiber diet will reduce the recirculation of fat and toxins from the gut back to the liver. This is vitally important for those with excessive weight, toxicity problems and high cholesterol. The inclusion of plenty of raw fruits and vegetables as well as ground-up raw seeds will increase both soluble and insoluble fibre in the gut, and reduce recirculation of unwanted fat and toxins. Some people find that rice or wheat bran, psyllium husks and unprocessed homemade muesli can boost fiber efficiently. If the liver filter is damaged by toxins or clogged up (blocked) with excessive waste material it will be less able to remove small fat globules (chylomicrons) circulating in the blood stream. This will cause excessive fat to build up in the blood vessel walls. This fat may then gradually build up in many other parts of the body, including other organs, and in fatty deposits under the skin. Thus you may develop cellulite in the buttocks, thighs, arms and abdominal wall. If the liver is dysfunctional, it will not manufacture adequate amounts of the good cholesterol (HDL), which travels out of the liver to scavenge the unhealthy cholesterol (LDL) from the blood vessel walls.
- If the liver filter is healthy it allows dietary cholesterol to be shunted into the liver for metabolism or excretion through the bile. A healthy liver filter is essential to properly regulate blood cholesterol levels. Poor liver function may increase your chances of cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. If the liver does not regulate fat metabolism efficiently, weight gain tends to occur around the abdominal area and a protuberant abdomen (potbelly) will develop. This is not good for the waistline! Another sign can be a roll of fat around the upper abdomen, which I affectionately call the “liver roll.” This is often a sign of a fatty liver. It can be almost impossible to lose this abdominal fat until the liver function is improved. Once this is done the liver will start burning fat efficiently again and the weight comes off gradually and without too much effort from you. It is not necessary to make yourself miserable by following a low fat, low calorie diet. What is effective in the long term is to eat the correct foods and nutrients for the liver to improve its fat burning function. A good liver tonic containing the liver herb St. Mary’s Thistle, and sulphur containing amino acids will help the liver to burn fat more efficiently and thus is an aid to weight control.
- Many middle-aged people with excess fat in the abdominal area have a “fatty liver”. In this condition the liver has stopped burning fat and has turned into a fat storing organ. It becomes enlarged and swollen with greasy deposits of fatty tissue. Those with a fatty liver will not be able to lose weight unless they first improve liver function, with a liver cleansing diet and a good liver tonic. If you have a fatty liver it is vital to be patient, as it can take between 3 to 12 months, depending upon the amount of fat deposited in the liver, to remove the excess fat from the liver. After this accumulated liver fat has been removed, weight loss will occur easily. If you have a very severe case of fatty liver it can take several years to lose all of the excessive weight. However, this is very successful in the long term and provides the best chance of restoring your figure and your health. Fatty liver is common and doctors often tell their patients with this problem not to worry too much because it is not serious. I disagree with this, because if you have a fatty liver, your chances of high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease and mature-onset diabetes are significantly higher. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to find a fatty liver in adolescents who consume a diet high in processed and fast foods.
- If you overload the liver with the wrong type of hormone replacement therapy, drugs or toxins, the liver’s biochemical pathways will have less energy reserves left over to perform their function of fat metabolism. Thus these things can lead to weight gain. For menopausal women with a weight problem, the best type of hormone replacement therapy is that which bypasses the liver, namely hormone patches, creams or buccal lozenges.
- Take 1 teaspoon twice daily in water or juice or 2 capsules twice daily – Liver tonic formulas provide vital ingredients to enhance liver function. A good formula containing Taurine, St Mary’s Thistle and B vitamins will help rid the body of waste and promotes elimination via a cleansing effective on the bowel.
- Take 2 tablets twice daily or 1 teaspoon twice daily in water or fresh raw juice – Selenium has been found to be effective in reducing liver inflammation and is a strong antioxidant. It will assist with thyroid function and therefore sluggish metabolism.
- Take 1 teaspoon and build up to 1 – 2 tablespoons if necessary. Fiber powders can be added to soy, rice or oat milk, and fruit smoothies, or added in with your favourite breakfast cereal. It is important to drink at least 8 glasses of purified water every day and some people will need to drink up to 12 glasses daily. Water should be drunk gradually throughout the day in between meals. Including fiber will assist the action of pumping fats and cholesterol out through the bowel actions.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon twice daily in a little water or vegetable juice – MSM is an organic sulphur and is very beneficial for the liver, as it assists detoxification pathways. Sulphur is also a vital component of healthy bile. Absorption of vital nutrients and active ingredients is superior from powders, as compared to compressed tablets which often pass through the gut without being dissolved or absorbed properly.
- Take 1 tablet 15 min before each meal three times daily with a large glass of water. A good formula will include Tyrosine and Brindleberry. This will help to stimulate metabolism and assist with appetite and sugar cravings.
- Take 1 capsule before each meal three times daily to help stabilise blood sugar and insulin levels, thereby reducing hunger and cravings.
- Use as a meal or snack. Slimming Protein powder for Syndrome X is an ideal smoothie or can be sprinkled over cereals or desserts to increase their protein content.