How to improve your liver function
The Liver Cleansing Diet is an excellent and proven way to improve your liver function and enhance fat burning. It also detoxifies the body increasing the breakdown and removal of toxic chemicals from the liver and fat tissue. The Liver Cleansing diet is an 8 week eating plan designed to provide your liver with the correct balance of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats. It is easy to follow and most enjoyable as the menus and recipes are delicious.
Remember to Stay away from the following danger foods–
Sugar – use Nature Sweet instead
Candies and chocolate which are high in sugar; some cheap chocolates contain hydrogenated vegetable oils which are most unhealthy. If you do indulge in a little chocolate the best types are the expensive dark chocolates!
Foods containing refined flour
“Diet foods” that claim to be slimming – they are usually low in fat and high in sugar or aspartame, eg. diet-yogurts, diet jams, diet-ice-cream, diet-sodas, etc; these diet foods are not slimming they are fattening if they contain sugar or aspartame! Read the labels.
Fried snacks – such as potato chips, tortilla chips, pretzels, etc.
Meat jerky and preserved meats
Fatty take away foods like fried fish and chips, lasagna and fried chicken
Deep fried hot potato chips
Biscuits – both sweet and savoury varieties, as they contain refined flour, hydrogenated vegetable oils, lard, shortening and if sweet, will be high in sugar
Breads containing refined flour, crumpets, muffins, bagels and donuts, as they tend to be fattening for those with a fatty liver.
Obviously we all like to eat unhealthy or junk foods on special occasions and this is fine if it’s a birthday, family celebration, Christmas or a one off special event. It’s when these things become a regular part of your diet and lifestyle that you will find your liver suffers.
RAW JUICES CAN SAVE YOUR LIVER
Ideally raw juices should be consumed immediately after juicing because that is when their nutritional content is most active. If you are super busy, you can juice enough for 1 to 2 days at one time. To keep the juice fresh and active, you must store the juice in an air-tight container with a tight lid, or in a thermos in the refrigerator. Add the juice of a lemon to stop the stored juice from oxidizing.
If the juices are too strong and/or upset your stomach, or taste unpleasant, you should dilute them with plenty of water, extra apple or reduce the amounts of the ingredients which upset you. You can vary the ingredients and their amounts to give you more enjoyment and variety.
Most of these recipes will produce 1-2 cups of juice.
Daily citrus cleanse
½ lemon or ½ lime – freshly squeezed (you can use a whole lemon/lime if desired) with
500ml warm water
Liver Cleansing Juice
½ lemon or lime, with some peel
2 dandelion or 2 rocket leaves or 2 cabbage leaves
½ cup broccoli florets, chopped
1 clove garlic or ¼ red onion (can use less if desired)
½ cup parsley
This is a strong mixture and may be diluted with 1 cup water, extra apple or dandelion root tea.
Make sure you read our following newsletters for more liver friendly juices and recipes!
NATURAL LIVER TONICS – How to choose one
There are many different liver tonics available today, as medicine is finally starting to realize that common diseases such as obesity, diabetes, chronic fatigue and digestive complaints can be traced back to poor liver function. For someone with liver dysfunction it can be difficult to decide what type of liver tonic will be most effective. This is especially true as liver dysfunction may vary from very mild to severe degrees.
Generally speaking liver tonics are safe and non toxic but please check with your own doctor or naturopath if you are taking any drugs before starting any supplements.
I personally do not think it is good to take liver tonics in the form of herbal tinctures containing alcohol, especially every day, and on a long-term basis, as their alcohol content is not good for the liver. I prefer to use liver tonics that are in powder or capsule form, as their contents are better absorbed than from a solid tablet. This is because tablets must be compressed and held together with binders and fillers. In those with a dysfunctional liver or pancreas there may be difficulty breaking down and absorbing the tablet.
The capsules may contain combinations of various liver herbs with synergistic nutrients which are in powdered form. The powder is contained by a vegetarian capsule (not an animal gelatin capsule), or alternatively the powder can be stirred into fresh juices.
The best liver tonics should contain as many of the following nutrients as possible:
- Taurine is essential for the healthy production of bile, and the liver uses it to excrete toxins and drugs from the body through the bile.
- Psyllium is an excellent source of soluble fibre, and has been shown to lower cholesterol levels by 14 to 20% after only 8 weeks.
- Dandelion also known as Taraxacum Officinale, has been used in traditional western herbal medicine to support liver and gall bladder function. It is able to stimulate digestion and the flow of bile. Dandelion has laxative and diuretic actions.
- Globe Artichoke also known as Cynara scolymus is a bitter liver tonic with liver-protective actions.
- Lecithin helps the liver metabolise fats and balances cholesterol levels. It contains phosphatidylcholine, which is beneficial for the cell membranes in the liver.
- Carrot, Beetroot, Alfalfa and Barley leaf in powdered form can be a component of liver tonics to provide a boost of chlorophyll, antioxidants, carotenoids and fibre.
Livatone contains all of these ingredients - Standard doses are one teaspoon of the powder twice daily in fresh juices, or two capsules twice daily with food. Commence with half this dose for the first two weeks, and then begin the full dose. While taking the powder or capsules ensure that you increase the intake of pure water to 8 to 12 glasses daily. This water should be drunk gradually throughout the day. Raw vegetable juices are also vitally important for liver health. This increased fluid intake will assist the detoxification and weight loss process.
Liver tonics which support a more powerful detoxification can be very helpful –
They should contain:
- Milk thistle also known as Silybum marianum, has been used for more than 2000 years is a safe non toxic herb. The active constituent, silymarin, in Milk Thistle protects the membranes of the liver cells with its powerful antioxidant properties and stimulates the production of new healthy liver cells. It also supports the liver filter which removes dangerous toxins. The clinically effective dose of the herb St Mary’s Thistle, is the dose that has been proven to help the liver in hundreds of clinical trials. At least 420mg of pure silymarin is required daily.
- All the B-group vitamins are essential for healthy liver function and detoxification
- Sulphur-bearing amino acids, Glutamine, Glycine Taurine & Cysteine are needed for efficient liver detoxification
- An effective dose of the most important antioxidant vitamins namely vitamin C, E and natural beta-carotene.
- The anti-oxidant mineral, selenium, has been shown in numerous studies to support the immune system
Livatone Plus has all of these ingredients combined together. We recommend that you take either 2 capsules twice daily or 1flat teaspoon of the powder twice daily. The powder can be stirred into fresh juices and is not unpleasant to take. The capsules are best taken with food, but if you forget, it is acceptable to take a liver tonic on an empty stomach. When starting the liver tonic for the first time, we recommend that you use only half the above amount for the first week.
When choosing a liver tonic it is important to evaluate what is in the formula - in other words what are the ingredients and what are the amounts of the ingredients? It is also important to know that the liver tonic you decide to take is made in a Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMP) certified and FDA approved laboratory and is analysed by an independent laboratory to validate the types and amounts of its contained ingredients.
You might find it easier to get some professional advice when choosing a liver tonic- If you are in the U.S, call Dr Cabot’s Natural Therapist, Christine Ki in Phoenix on 623 334 3232 or 1888 75 LIVER. Alternatively, contact us via email. If you are in Australia call Sandra Cabot’s Health Advisory Line on (02) 4655 8855.