N-acetyl Cysteine Helps Relieve Endometriosis
N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is a supplement that increases your body’s production of glutathione. Glutathione is a potent antioxidant and your body’s most powerful detoxifier. Research shows NAC helps to relieve the pain of endometriosis.
Endometriosis is a condition in which tissue from the lining of the uterus (endometrium) appears in abnormal sites in the pelvis such as on the ovaries, surface of the fallopian tubes, outside wall of the uterus, pelvic wall, bladder or bowel. It occurs in at least 10 to 15 percent of reproductive-age women who menstruate.
What causes endometriosis?
It occurs when there is an imbalance between the main female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen has powerful proliferative effects, and women with relative progesterone deficiency are at higher risk of developing endometriosis. Bio-identical progesterone cream helps to top up progesterone levels.
Your liver is responsible for breaking down estrogen each day, and your gut excretes it. Women with a sluggish liver and gut are more likely to have a problem with estrogen recirculating in the body. Lastly, there is an immune system component. In endometriosis, tissue from the lining of the uterus grows in places it shouldn’t; such as the ovaries, the fallopian tubes, the bowel and other locations. A healthy immune system should recognize the presence of foreign tissue but for some reason this doesn’t happen. The high levels of inflammation present in the disease cause a great deal of pain and fatigue. I recommend all my patients with inflammatory or autoimmune conditions eliminate grains, dairy products and sugar from their diet.
An Italian study was conducted in 2013 where 47 women took an NAC supplement and 42 women took a placebo. The women taking NAC took 600mg three times a day, three consecutive days each week for a period of three months. The results were quite amazing:
- 24 patients actually cancelled their planned laparoscopy because the endometriosis improved so significantly, and they experienced significant pain relief. Some of the women cancelled their laparoscopy because they had fallen pregnant.
- 14 of the women taking NAC had a reduction in ovarian cysts.
- 8 women actually experienced a complete disappearance of endometriosis symptoms and lesions.
- 21 women had significant pain reduction.
In the placebo group only one patient cancelled their surgery.
What remarkable results. NAC can be such a safe and healthy alternative to conventional endometriosis treatments. The disease can cause a great deal of pain and suffering and heartbreak, because it may cause infertility. If you experience painful, excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, you may want to try NAC.
Other remedies that may help endometriosis include:
- Magnesium is wonderful for helping to reduce painful muscle spasms and cramps. It also has amazing calming properties and is great for pre-menstrual tension.
- Serrapeptase is a natural enzyme that helps to reduce inflammation by breaking down scar tissue and inflammatory deposits in the body. It should help to control the growth of endometriosis and help to reduce pain.
- Improving liver function is essential, as this assists detoxification abilities. Avoiding or minimizing sugar, gluten, dairy products and processed foods is important. Making your own raw vegetable juices assists detox abilities. My liver tonic Livatone Plus improves breakdown and clearance of estrogen.
Porpora M, Brunelli R, Costa G, et al. A promise in the treatment of endometriosis: an observational cohort study on ovarian endometrioma reduction by N-acetylcysteine. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013; April.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.