Raising Testosterone In Men Can Improve Diabetes
Overweight men typically have below normal blood levels of testosterone. Diabetic men are often even more testosterone deficient. Research has shown that giving diabetic men supplemental testosterone helps to improve their diabetes. Testosterone is a sex hormone produced by the testes in men and by the ovaries in women. Men produce far greater quantities of this hormone than women.
Testosterone has a number of health benefits for men; these include:
- Improved bone density. Testosterone helps to strengthen bones and this is one reason that men are far less likely to suffer from osteoporosis than women.
- Increased muscle mass and increased muscle strength. Testosterone triggers muscle growth and development, and men naturally have a lot more muscle on their bodies than women. This is one reason why men almost always lose weight faster than women and they are less likely to feel the cold weather than women. More muscle on their body means men usually have a faster metabolic rate than women.
- Sexual function. Testosterone increases libido and it strengthens erections. Men with a high blood testosterone level generally experience greater sexual satisfaction.
- Mood and mental function. Testosterone has a very profound effect on a man’s mental and emotional state. This hormone increases motivation, determination, drive and competitiveness. Men with low testosterone often experience depression and loss of motivation.
What causes low testosterone in men?
Testosterone levels naturally fall as men age; however they fall a lot more rapidly in overweight men. As men age, their liver produces higher levels of a protein that binds with testosterone in the bloodstream and inactivates the testosterone. This means that there is less free and active testosterone in the blood.
Fat cells contain an enzyme called aromatase, which converts testosterone into female hormones (estrogens). Estrogens promote the growth of fatty tissue in the breasts and hips. The more fat cells a man has, the more estrogen his body produces. Sometimes a middle aged man can have higher estrogen levels than his post-menopausal wife!
What are the symptoms of low testosterone?
- Reduced sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction or weak erections
- Fatigue and muscle weakness
- Mood changes such as depression and anxiety
- Loss of motivation and low self esteem
- A loss of muscle mass
- Falling asleep on the sofa after dinner
- Worsened joint pain in people with a joint condition
Giving testosterone to diabetic men can improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control
Low testosterone is men is often referred to as hypogonadism. Research has shown that men with hypogonadism who received testosterone therapy experienced a 25 percent improvement in insulin sensitivity. That means they became less insulin resistant; their syndrome X improved. This is significant because syndrome X promotes weight gain, poor blood sugar control, fatty liver and it worsens low testosterone.
How to increase your testosterone level
Testosterone is available on prescription; however there are many natural ways to increase your level of this important hormone:
Try to maintain a healthy body weight. Ideally a Caucasian man’s waist circumference should not be greater than 35 inches. Any more than that indicates there is probably too much fat accumulating around the abdominal organs and inside the liver. If you need to lose weight I recommend you follow my eating plan in my book Fatty Liver: You Can Reverse It.
There are several herbs that help to promote testosterone production in your body. These include Tribulus, Maca, horny goat weed and Yohimbe bark. Viriman capsules contain these herbs along with other herbs that support adrenal gland health. Adrenal gland exhaustion, brought on by long term stress is a sure way to kill a healthy sex drive. Viriman capsules help to restore healthy adrenal gland function and promote healthy testosterone levels.
Magnesium is a mineral with a calming and relaxing effect on the nervous system. It helps your body to cope with stress and it helps you achieve a deeper, better quality sleep. Magnesium also helps to increase the strength of erections.
If you have diabetes, it is critical to try and get your blood sugar level as close to normal as possible. That means having a fasting blood glucose level less than 110mg/dL. Glicemic Balance capsules contain the herbs bitter melon and gymnema, along with the nutrients chromium, lipoic acid and carnitine, which all help maintain a healthy blood sugar. Ideally one capsule can be taken with each meal.
Exercise helps to raise testosterone; muscle strengthening exercise in particular. That means lifting weights or using your own body weight (push ups, lunges, squats).
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Dhindsa S, et al "Testosterone replacement increases insulin sensitivity in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes" AACE 2013; Abstract 280.