Wrinkles are the result of loss of elasticity and damaged collagen fibers in the skin which occurs with aging. In hot dry areas premature aging of the skin is exceedingly common because of the effect of sun damage. Trying to achieve that so-called 'healthy' tan not only increases the risk of skin cancers, but also rapidly ages your skin, causing more age spots and wrinkles. It's just not worth it. The other factor which contributes to aging of the skin is the action of "free radicals". These are destructive particles in our bodies generated from exposure to cigarette smoking, alcohol, rancid dietary fats, processed chemical foods, viruses and pollution.
Treatment and general recommendations
- Protect your skin against the sun by using a sunscreen and broad-brimmed hat.
- Avoid smoking and excess alcohol.
- Regular exercise is important and yoga may be helpful.
- Use a very mild soap and good moisturizing cream to avoid dryness.
- Follow the eight week "Liver Cleansing Diet". Make the principles of this diet a way of life.
- Raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds should make up the vast bulk of your diet. Raw foods will help to rid your body of toxic free radicals.
- Also include raw vegetable juices and drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Avoid - fatty foods, fried foods, refined and processed foods.
Raw juicingSee my "Raw Juices Can Save Your Life" book for more juicing recipes, like:
Skin Healing JuiceIngredients
- 1 carrot
- 1 red apple - skin on
- 1/4 beetroot and tops
- 2 sticks celery and tops
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 spinach or dandelion leaves
- 1 grapefruit or orange (retain as much white pith as possible)
- Wash, trim and chop and process in juicer.
- Can dilute with water or cold lemon and honey tea
Orthodox medical treatmentTretinoin cream, which is used to treat acne, was incidentally noted to reduce wrinkles when used in older acne sufferers. It is derived from vitamin A and is available on prescription from your doctor, although it has not actually been licensed for use for this purpose. It is applied to completely dry clean skin once daily at bedtime. It tends to induce a red scaly dermatitis in the first weeks of use. Test for skin irritation by applying to a small area of skin first and with gradual exposure - that is, leave on for 5 minutes initially and then wash off, then 15 minutes and so on until it can be left on overnight. Tretinoin will leave your skin more sensitive to sun damage, so it is vital to minimize sun exposure and always use sunscreens. The invention of the laser is proving to be the greatest advance in the area of treating aging skin. There is a new generation of lasers called pulse lasers which are able to very safely remove facial wrinkling and perform various types of eyelid lifting. Lasers are instruments which operate on a very powerful but narrow light beam, and they are able to remove successive layers of skin without any significant heat damage. Lasers have to a large extent replaced other methods of wrinkle removal such as chemical peeling and dermabrasion. Chemical peeling in strengths necessary to remove wrinkles is unpredictable and is much more likely to cause scarring and loss of pigment. Chemical peels however, using lighter concentrations by your doctor, are excellent for removing fine wrinkling and blemishes. Dermabrasion can be quite good in some cases, but laser has the advantage that there is no blood present and there is less risk of transmitting viral infections. The pulsed lasers are suitable for removing wrinkles around the upper lip and lower eyelid areas, and a 70 to 90 percent improvement can be expected. With the deep so called dynamic wrinkles which are due to muscle pull beneath the skin, any method including laser is less effective, and these areas include deeper frown lines, the lines beside the mouth and so on. Collagen injections can be performed to plump up the skin and reduce wrinkling. The treatment is fairly costly and the effect is not permanent, but will last some months. It is advisable to see a doctor experienced in the procedure. Botulism toxin, one of the most potent poisons around, is being used to remove wrinkles. "Botox" is injected near the offending wrinkles, temporarily paralysing the muscle underneath and subsequently flattening the skin above. It takes three to five days for the "Botox" to take effect and the results last for between three to six months. Its use is limited to the upper area of the face in patients 30 to 60 years of age. Finally, cosmetic surgery, such as a face lift, is also an option to treat wrinkling of the skin. This is expensive, however, and requires careful consideration.
Recommended supplements for wrinkles
- MSM Plus Vitamin C Take 1/2 teaspoon twice daily with water or juice - MSM will provide links for collagen synthesis, maintains healthy strong skin, hair, teeth and nails, works with vitamin C, B vitamins, and lipoic acid for health of all the body cells, and is an essential component of glutathione, which is the leading antioxidant made in the body. Vitamin C is also an excellent antioxidant which maintains the integrity and elasticity of the skin's collagen.
- Selenomune Take 1 to 2 capsules daily - Selenium is an excellent antioxidant which counteracts the effect of free radicals.
- DHEA Take 1 capsule daily. With age, the production of DHEA diminishes greatly, and by the time you are in your 70's your adrenal glands only manufacture around 20% of the amount of DHEA that they did in your twenties.
- Hair Skin & Nails Food Take daily - this formula contains the essential nutrients to support skin.
- Biocell Collagen Eternal Youth New patented anti-aging formula. Biocell Collagen II is a unique collagen type II compound derived exclusively from soft chicken sternal cartilage, the richest and purest source of collagen type II, as well as other healing and anti-aging compounds.