NAC is an amino acid that is required for the manufacturing of glutathione in the body. Glutathione is the most powerful antioxidant in the body, and is crucial for neutralising toxins and assisting the liver and kidneys to properly detoxify. NAC also helps to support and strengthen the immune system and respiratory system.
NAC has many health benefits:
- Protects the liver and kidneys: Without adequate levels of glutathione available, the liver and kidneys would not be able to properly detoxify the body from harmful substances. Emergency departments in hospitals actually use NAC as an antidote for paracetamol overdose, that could otherwise result in liver failure. Restoring glutathione levels assists the liver cells for protection against damage caused by drugs, alcohol, viral infections and fatty accumulation. 80% of glutathione produced in the liver is transported to the kidneys for detoxification. The need for supplementation is increased in those with a damaged or poor functioning liver, as the liver is responsible for producing glutathione.
- Neutralizes toxins: NAC has strong antioxidant properties, and helps to neutralise toxins in the body and protect against free radical damage. We are constantly exposed to environmental and dietary toxins and pollutants that can damage our cells and organs. Heavy metals can accumulate in the liver, kidneys and other fatty tissues. NAC helps to neutralize these toxins to prevent them from causing DNA damage.
- Supports a healthy respiratory system: NAC acts as a mucolytic. This means that it helps to thin or dissolve unwanted mucous secretions in the body. Breaking down the mucous makes it easier for the mucous to be cleared from the body. This is useful for those who have a respiratory infection such as bronchitis or pneumonia, as the NAC helps to clear out bacteria that is trapped in the mucous. It is most helpful for those with chronic sinus infection, bronchiectasis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), asthma, and Cystic Fibrosis. NAC can strengthen the immune system and help protect against recurrent infections in the sinuses, lungs and gut. NAC has been shown in a clinical study to dissolve gallstones. As an extension it should be helpful for dissolving kidney stones.(1)
- Decreases inflammation: Glutathione plays a protective role against inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation in the body can contribute to degenerative disorders, autoimmune conditions, impaired glucose control and organ disease. Supplementing with NAC will help to increase glutathione levels in the body, assisting in decreasing systemic inflammation.
- Supports muscle growth: NAC can help to prevent muscle wasting that occurs during ageing, and can also help to support and accelerate muscle growth in those who exercise. When taken prior to exercise, it could also aid in improving performance and endurance and delaying muscle fatigue.
NAC is the best way to replenish glutathione levels in the body. Oral glutathione supplements are available in health food stores, however glutathione taken orally is poorly absorbed by the gut and very little glutathione will actually reach the cells. For this reason, it is better to supplement with NAC, which is more easily absorbed and utilised, and has the ability to rapidly synthesize glutathione. NAC has over 40 years worth of scientific research that support its effectiveness.
(1)Reference: Moriyasu, A., Ise, H., Suzuki, N. et al. Treatment of cholelithiasis with acetylcysteine, a new gallstone solvent. J Hep Bil Pancr Surg 1, 406–412 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02391104
READ MORE: N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) - A Powerful Health Aid
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.