9 Superfoods That Your Liver Will Love
By Louise Belle BHSc (Nut Med)
Taking a superfood powder can give you the extra boost you need to feel energised, enhance your athletic performance, improve your mood and detox your liver. It can be quite overwhelming when shopping for a good superfood powder, with labels full of words you’ve never heard of and quite frankly, unsure how they benefit you. Let’s give you the break down- nine ingredients to look out for in your superfood powder to give you the extra edge, and your liver the extra support.
- Beetroot powder: Beetroot is an excellent source of phytonutrients such as betaine which are critical for liver and kidney function. Beetroot helps to cleanse the blood, flushes out excess fat and protects the cells against free radical damage.
- Maqui Berry powder: Maqui berries are considered to be one the of most powerful sources of antioxidants, rich in anthocyanins that have been shown to strengthen blood vessel walls, boost cardiovascular health and assist in liver detoxification.
- Pomegranate juice powder: Dehydrated pomegranate juice provides a potent source of vitamin C that supports healthy collagen production, helps to maintain healthy liver tissue and supports a strong immune system.
- Citrus bioflavonoids: Extracted from citrus fruit, bioflavonoids have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capabilities, helping to reduce inflammation in the body, protect the liver against free radical damage and to support healthy circulation.
- Broccoli powder: Broccoli is an excellent source of glucosinolates, which help to protect the cells from damage and mutation. Broccoli is also rich in sulphur which is required for the detoxification pathways of the liver to function optimally.
- Turmeric powder: Aside from being a potent anti-inflammatory substance, turmeric helps to protect the liver against free radical and toxin damage, can enhance overall mood, helps to clear out excess cholesterol and acts as a natural pain relief.
- Acerola Berry powder: A superb source of vitamin C and antioxidants that can help to repair damaged tissue in the body, fight against viral infections, boost energy levels and support the liver in clearing toxins and waste products.
- Grapeseed powder: An excellent source of oligomeric procyanidins (OCPs) which are powerful antioxidant compounds that protect against DNA degradation, reduce inflammation in the joints, slow the ageing process and protect the liver against damage.
- Mangosteen fruit powder: High in antioxidant xanthones which promote brain health, protect against fungal and viral infections, support healthy liver function and promote healthy blood flow.
Look out for a superfood powder that contains these ingredients to give your liver that extra support, and to help you feel revitalised. For more information on how to boost your liver health, read Dr Cabot’s book- The Liver Cleansing Diet, which is complete with a meal plan and liver-loving recipes to get your liver back on track for a healthier, happier you.