Bad breath is also known as halitosis. Bad breath can result from poor dental hygiene, tooth decay, gum disease, throat infection, sinusitis, bronchitis, smoking, dietary factors (garlic and alcohol), liver failure, hypochlorhydria (insufficient stomach acid) and an overgrowth of harmful microbes in the digestive tract.
- Proper brushing of the teeth and tongue twice daily is important, followed by flossing and thorough rinsing.
Tea tree oil is also beneficial. Use three to four drops in water as a gargle after meals. Do not swallow it.
Eating parsley can be helpful, as can drinking peppermint tea.
Include a supplement of lactobacillus acidophilus – the good bacteria that normally inhabit the gastrointestinal tract.
- Chlorophyll obtained from alfalfa liquid or barley juice can be used as a mouth wash or consumed mixed with juice, and is usually quite effective in treating bad breath.
If all these simple measures fail, have a thorough assessment by your dentist and your doctor.
- Follow The Liver Cleansing Diet
- Eat a well balanced diet including plenty of raw foods, particularly fruits and vegetables. In fact, until the problem is resolved, raw foods should make up at least 50 percent of the diet, as this will lead to a healthy bacterial population in the gut and boost liver function, both of which helps to eliminate bad breath.
- Drink 8 glasses of water daily.
- Chewing peppermint, fennel, parsley and taking Spirulina and seaweed have all been reported to assist with bad breath.
Recommended juice recipes can be found in book
Juice for the gums and teeth found on page 126
Take 1 teaspoon twice daily in water or juices or 2 capsules twice daily with food – the liver is the filter and cleanser of the bloodstream, removing toxins, dead cells and debris from the bloodstream. The liver tonic helps rid the body of waste and promotes elimination, via a cleansing effect on the bowel.
Take 1/2 teaspoon of powder in vegetable juice twice daily – MSM is beneficial in healing mouth and gum disease and fighting off respiratory tract infections.
Take one to three capsules at the beginning of each meal to aid in digestion.
Take 1 – 2 capsules up to four times daily – to help treat conditions such as E. coli bacteria, Candida, Giardia, worms and other unfriendly micro organisms. Symptoms of which may include bad breath.