Excerpt from “The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book”
If you or your family members are always “coming down with something”, and always trying to fight off infections with antibiotic or antifungal drugs, then you really need to look at nutritional medicine as an effective preventative weapon.
If your immune system is overburdened you may have the following problems.
- Chronic or recurrent viral infections, especially glandular fever (Epstein Barr Virus)
- Swollen glands
- Recurrent herpes (genital or cold sores)
- Frequent skin infections
- Frequent inflammation and/or infections in the upper respiratory tract eg. sinuses, nose, ears or throat
- Recurrent bronchitis
- Recurrent cystitis
- Recurrent fungal and yeast infections such as candida and tinea
- Unhealthy bacteria and parasites in the bowel (dysbiosis)
Treatment and general recommendations
- Ensure that you are getting plenty of sleep which allows your immune system a chance to rejuvenate itself.
- Smoking must be avoided.
- Alcohol intake should also be minimized, as it depletes the body of nutrients which are vital for immune function.
- Plenty of fresh air and exercise are also essential.
- Coconut oil and plain acidophilus yoghurt have natural antibiotic properties.
There are 2 steps to overcoming and preventing infections:
- Take the load off the immune system
- Strengthen the immune system with nutrients
- Follow “The Liver Cleansing Diet“ Time and time again I have seen that if one improves the liver function, the workload of the immune system is reduced and it is then possible for the immune system to rest and rejuvenate itself. The previously overactive immune system then quietens down as it is no longer in a state of continual war and it gradually stops producing excessive amounts of inflammatory chemicals, which exacerbate infections. Around 40 percent of the diet should consist of raw fruits and vegetables.
- Eat foods and condiments that are natural antibiotics; raw garlic, onions, leeks, shallots, radishes, fenugreek, fresh ginger, chilli and plenty of raw salads and fruits and their juices. Some people find it difficult to eat hot spicy things because they have a very sensitive digestive system. Always make sure that you have hot spicy things with plenty of food, and even small amounts of these things can help to expel infected mucous from your body.
- Avoid – all refined sugars (sucrose and glucose), processed foods, diet colas, saturated and processed fats and cholesterol.
- Avoid mucus-producing foods such as dairy products, margarine, processed and preserved foods (especially processed meats).
- It is also important to drink plenty of fluids (8 to 10 glasses daily) like water and raw vegetable juices.
- Tannins, such as those in grapes, seem to be effective in killing viruses like the herpes simplex virus. Anthocyanins, found in high quantities in blueberries and blackcurrants, are another nutrient with antiviral and antibacterial properties. Apples and apple juice may lower the incidence of colds.
“Antibiotic Juice Recipe” on page 45. This juice combination acts as a powerful antibiotic and antiseptic, and when taken regularly can fight infections directly. You can dilute juicing recipes if so desired.
Orthodox Medical Treatment
- Take one capsule, two or three times daily just before food. Olive leaf extract is being hailed as the new “Superherb” in the battle against many new infections caused by a new breed of “superbugs” ranging from viruses, drug resistant bacteria, fungi and parasites. Olive leaf extract has been used as a natural antibiotic for thousands of years, but it is only recently that scientific research has shown that its active ingredient oleuropein, has the ability to fight a broad range of infective microorganisms. Research in the U.S.A. has found Olive Leaf extract may help to treat colds, flu and chronic fatigue syndrome. Olive Leaf extract is currently being tested on patients with shingles and HIV. It is thought to inactivate bacteria by dissolving the outer lining of the microbes and to kill viruses by interfering with their protein production.
- Take 1 tablet or 1 capsule once daily with food. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant which help your white blood cells to kill microorganisms. Taking selenium helps to ensure adequate intake of the mineral required by the immune system to fight infections. It is useful for recurrent or chronic viral infections like influenza, glandular fever, Ross River virus and herpes.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon twice daily in water or juice – This is an excellent source of organic sulphur, useful for recurrent infections. Sulphur is a powerful blood cleansing mineral.
- Take 1 teaspoon twice daily or 2 capsules twice daily with meals. An excellent general tonic to improve the function of the liver.
- Take 1capsule daily with breakfast or lunch. Vitamin D helps to reduce the risk of infections and helps the body to overcome infections. Vitamin D insufficiency is very common, especially in people who don’t get much sun exposure.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.