What To Do About Liver Spots (Age Spots)
Liver spots are also known as age spots, senile freckles, solar lentigo or lentigo senilis. They are basically brown patches on the skin that look like large freckles. They can be slightly lighter or darker than ordinary freckles. They are a sign of aging skin.
Most people develop some liver spots by the age of 40, but some people develop them earlier in life and develop a lot more of them. They are commonly known as liver spots because they are associated with poor liver health or liver congestion. People with a liver condition or sluggish liver function are more prone to developing these spots on their skin.
Your liver is an extremely hard-working organ that attempts to detoxify and purify your bloodstream of all the toxins you encounter during the day, along with the waste products of metabolism. If your liver is under functioning, an excess level of these toxins can accumulate throughout your body. These toxins can create wear and tear in your body, otherwise known as oxidative damage.
The skin is quite fragile and easily harmed by oxidative damage. It is also very easy to see evidence of the damage, through signs such as liver spots, skin rashes and wrinkles, along with sun-induced damage.
How to minimize liver (age) spots
- Make sure your digestive system is working well. If you suffer from malabsorption, leaky gut syndrome or an overgrowth of harmful microbes in your digestive tract, you will not be absorbing nutrients from your food and supplements adequately. Deficiencies of vitamins and antioxidants makes your body more prone to harm caused by oxidative damage. Sipping a little apple cider vinegar in warm water before meals is an excellent way to improve digestion and absorption of nutrients. If you feel particularly bloated after meals, you would benefit from a Digestive Enzyme supplement, taken with each meal. Sometimes an overgrowth of harmful microbes in the intestines can interfere with nutrient absorption. The bad bugs can literally steal your nutrients. They also release harmful toxins that can make you feel tired, moody, and give you intense sugar cravings. Intestinal Parasite Cleanse capsules help to clean up the environment in your intestines.
- Strengthen your skin with natural collagen. Collagen forms a large part of your skin and it helps to give it elasticity, making it look younger. You can include collagen in your diet by making your own bone broth, or homemade stock. This involves slowly simmering bones, joints, marrow and cartilage in water for several hours. Here is a recipe you may want to try. Biocell Collagen Eternal Youth capsules contain a unique collagen type II compound derived exclusively from chicken sternal cartilage, the richest and purest source of collagen type II, as well as other healing and anti-aging compounds.
- Improve the health of your liver. You want your liver to be breaking down and eliminating toxins as efficiently as possible. If you have a fatty liver, hepatitis, or just a poorly functioning liver, you may benefit from n-acetyl cysteine (NAC) capsules. NAC is the precursor of glutathione and glutathione is your body's most powerful antioxidant and detoxifier. It helps to reduce the level of inflammation and oxidative damage in your body.
- Avoid becoming sunburnt. This would accelerate the development of liver spots, uneven pigmentation and skin wrinkling. It is important to obtain some sunshine on your skin, in order to produce vitamin D. Please make sure the sun exposure is brief and your skin does not become burnt. If the area you live in does not receive much sunshine, a vitamin D supplement may be necessary.
- Astaxanthin is a remarkable antioxidant that acts like a natural sunscreen. It is a carotenoid antioxidant produced by a type of microalgae called Haematococcus pluvialis. This algae produces astaxanthin when its water supply dries up, thereby protecting itself from excessive harmful UV radiation in sunlight. Astaxanthin can have the same benefits in your body, helping to reduce age spots, freckles, wrinkles and sunburn. Unfortunately, astaxanthin is not found in many foods; it is basically only found in the animals that eat the algae, such as salmon, shellfish and shrimp.
- Try to obtain good quality sleep and exercise. You might have an excellent diet, but you will not be able to achieve excellent health if poor sleep and lack of exercise are issues. Meditation, yoga and morning exercise are usually effective for helping people wind down at night and achieve good quality sleep. If your mind races with thoughts and you find it hard to switch off, taking magnesium with your evening meal may help.
- Raw vegetable juices help to keep you looking younger. This is because they are a concentrated source of powerful antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. The more vibrantly colored the vegetables are, the greater their benefits. If you need inspiration for juice recipes, see my book Raw Juices Can Save Your Life.
The most important strategy is to protect your liver cells from free radical damage and regenerate healthy liver cells. I have created my liver tonics Livatone and Livatone Plus specifically to make your liver healthier and better able to detoxify your body.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.