Rosacea, also called acne rosacea, is a chronic skin condition affecting the face, consisting of redness often accompanied by red lumps, pustules and dilated capillaries. Either sex may be affected, but it occurs more commonly in fair-skinned women, and usually starts between the ages of 30 to 50 years. The usual distribution of the rash is over the cheeks, nose and chin.
What causes it?
The exact cause is unknown but it appears to be due to leaky gut, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and autoimmunity. Factors which cause flushing of the skin, such as hot drinks, spicy food, alcohol, a warm environment and emotional upset, tend to aggravate rosacea and make it more apparent. The course of the condition is usually chronic and persistent, with some flare-ups and some periods of remission. Sometimes, however, it may be limited to a few recurrences followed by permanent remission.
Rosacea is frequently complicated by conjunctivitis and blepharitis. Occasionally, the nose may become swollen with irregular knobbly thickening, enlarged follicles and appear bright or purplish red. This is known as a rhinophyma ('potato nose'!) and occurs predominantly in men.
Treatment and general recommendations
Factors which trigger facial flushing should be avoided; so spicy foods, alcohol, hot drinks, salty foods, fatty foods, coffee and excessive exposure to sunlight are better restricted. Avoid constipation.
- Follow "The Liver Cleansing Diet", as poor liver function will exacerbate this condition. The principles of this diet should be followed as a way of life to ensure the blood is being cleaned efficiently of toxins. The liver is the major 'filter' of the body. If this vital organ becomes "clogged", other organs of waste elimination, such as the skin, must be more heavily relied upon.
- Follow the diet recommended in the book "Healing Autoimmune Disease".
- Include often - plenty of raw foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds; and cold-water fish like herring, mackerel, salmon and tuna, which are rich in the anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
- Drink 1 to 2 liters of water daily.
Freshly made raw fruit and vegetable juices are vital. Recipes may be found in the book "Raw Juices Can Save Your Life ", like:
Juice Recipe for Acne
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 medium beetroot with leaves
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves
- 2 dandelion leaves or 2 cabbage leaves
- 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) of fresh ginger
- 1 clove of fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 slice about 2 inches (5 cm) fresh pineapple
- Wash all ingredients, trim, remove any blemishes, and cut into pieces to fit juicer. Leave skins on where possible to retain important nutrients.
Skin Healing Juice
- 1 carrot
- 1 red apple - skin on
- 1/4 beetroot and tops
- 2 sticks celery and tops
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 spinach or dandelion leaves
- 1 grapefruit or orange (retain as much white pith as possible)
- Wash, trim and chop and process in juicer. Can dilute with water or cold lemon and honey tea.
Orthodox medical treatment
Antibiotics such as tetracycline 250 mg two to three times daily for at least 12 weeks are frequently prescribed and will often settle the inflammation. Make sure you take acidophilus for three months after the antibiotic is finished. Metronidazole 200 mg three times daily for preferably no longer than two months may be used if tetracyclines are unhelpful. Alternatively, metronidazole gel applied topically twice daily is often effective. A mild hydrocortisone cream can reduce the redness but should not be used for prolonged periods. Benzoyl peroxide gel is helpful for papules and pustules. For resistant cases, isotretinoin tablets ("Roaccutane", a vitamin A derivative) may induce a prolonged remission. Because of its potential toxic side effects, isotretinoin can only be prescribed by a dermatologist.
Recommended supplements for rosacea
- Livatone Plus Powder or Capsules
Take 1 teaspoon twice daily in water or juice, or take 2 capsules twice daily - a good liver tonic will assist in supporting liver function, which is vital for this condition.
Take 1 capsule daily - Several studies have shown that selenium plays a role in reducing viral replication and virulence. Selenium possesses anti-inflammatory effects.
- Super Digestive Enzyme
Take 1 capsule with each meal - In rosacea, patients suffering digestive complaints, pancreatic enzymes (such as "Digestive Enzymes" capsules taken with each meal) have been shown to alleviate both indigestion and the skin lesions.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.
Know someone who might benefit from this article? Share it!
Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm MST
If it’s faulty or wrongly described, we’ll replace it.