The Best Strategies For Looking After Your Liver
If you have been receiving our newsletters for some time, you will be well aware that the health of your liver determines your weight, your energy level, your mood and even how long you will live. Your liver is that significant when it comes to your overall wellbeing.
Many people have a poorly functioning liver. Fatty liver, hepatitis and cirrhosis are all very common liver diseases, but far more people have a sluggish liver which is not unhealthy enough to be diseased, yet it is still compromising their health. We all know that we need to eat well in order to take care of our liver, but did you know that selenium and NAC are required by your body to manufacture the powerful antioxidant glutathione, and MSM is a source of natural sulphur, which improves liver detoxification?
Here are the most important ways to improve your liver health
- Eat more vegetables. Vegetables contain the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants your liver cells need in order to carry out detoxification and fat burning. The pigments that give vegetables their colors are powerful antioxidants that help to protect your liver cells from damage. Vegetables are also high in fiber. This is good for preventing constipation, but the fiber in vegetables also acts as food for good bacteria in your bowel. We say that the fiber in vegetables acts as a prebiotic.
- Eat less sugar and high carbohydrate foods. Sugar and high carbohydrate foods form the basis of most people’s diet. Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals, soda and any food that contains flour all fall into this category. Carbohydrate rich foods are convenient and they are fun foods to eat. The benefits end there. Sugar and carbohydrate rich foods promote abdominal weight gain and the development of fatty liver disease. In some cases sugar can do just as much harm to your liver as alcohol.
- Take a good quality liver tonic. Despite taking good care of your diet, all of us overindulge occasionally, and we do live in a polluted world.
A good liver tonic should contain the following ingredients
- Milk thistle, also known as Silybum marianum, has been used for more than 2000 years and is a safe non toxic herb. The active constituent, silymarin protects the membranes of the liver cells with its powerful antioxidant properties and stimulates the production of new healthy liver cells. It also supports the liver filter which removes dangerous toxins. The clinically effective dose of the herb St Mary’s Thistle, is the dose that has been proven to help the liver in hundreds of clinical trials. At least 420mg of pure silymarin is required daily.
- All the B-group vitamins are essential for healthy liver function and detoxification.
- Sulphur-bearing amino acids, Glutamine, Glycine Taurine & Cysteine are needed for efficient liver detoxification.
- An effective dose of the most important antioxidant vitamins namely vitamin C, E and natural beta-carotene.
You will find all of those ingredients in Livatone Plus.
- Selenium is important. Your liver requires a high level of selenium in order to produce the powerful antioxidant glutathione peroxidise. This antioxidant helps to mop up harmful free radicals in your body, and it is required for phase 2 detoxification in your liver. Selenium also helps your body to fight viruses, and several viruses are capable of causing harm to liver cells. Selenomune Designer Energy capsules contain 100 micrograms of selenium per capsule. They also contain a range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids. Selenomune contains kelp, which is a rich source of iodine. Iodine is required for an efficient metabolism.
- The importance of sulfur. Your liver requires high levels of sulfur in order to carry out phase 2 detoxification. Sulfur is found in smelly foods like eggs, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, onion and garlic. Many people do not consume adequate sulfur. This mineral also has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body and is excellent for painful, inflamed joints. MSM is a natural form of sulfur; it stands for methyl sulfonyl methane. MSM works most efficiently when combined with vitamin C.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not designed to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.