Tinnitus is the extremely annoying symptom of ringing or other noises like buzzing or pulsating sounds in the ears. This can sometimes be so severe and persistent that it drives some sufferers frantic. Unfortunately, many cases of tinnitus are incurable.
What causes it?
Causes of tinnitus include:
- Exposure to loud noise.
- Various drugs especially prolonged or recurrent.
- An interruption of the cerebral blood supply (stroke).
- Vascular tumors in the head and neck.
- Tumors and acoustic nerve.
- Meniere's disease (see Meniere's Disease).
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome.
- Exposure to environmental toxins and heavy metals.
- Sinus and middle ear congestion and infection.
There may be associated hearing loss. It is important to be assessed by an ENT specialist to try to ascertain the cause.
Treatment and general recommendations
- Check with your doctor regarding whether any medications you are taking could be causing the problem.
- If you suspect temporomandibular joint syndrome, see your dentist.
- Relaxation exercises, massage and aromatherapy are beneficial to reduce stress, which often exacerbates the symptoms.
- Background noise such as relaxing music or the radio can mask tinnitus. This can be particularly useful at night to help you off to sleep. 'Tinnitus maskers' which look like a hearing aid are available and produce a noise to substitute or mask the ringing noises in your ears. As hearing loss often accompanies tinnitus, a tinnitus masker and hearing aid can be combined in the same device.
- Reduce dairy products
- Reduce sugar
- Eat cold water fish like mackerel, salmon and tuna three or four times per week. These fish are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids which improve the blood flow to the inner ear.
- Eat chia and hemp seeds
A three day raw fruit and vegetable juice fast is beneficial to detoxify your body. Suitable juices include beets, cabbage, wheat grass, sprouts, lemon, carrot, celery and apple. Try some recipes from the A-Z guide to juicing - see "Raw Juices Can Save Your Life" book.
Orthodox medical treatment
The following medications have limited efficacy in the treatment of tinnitus but are worth a try - betahistine ("Serc"), carbamazepine, sodium valproate and antidepressant medications. Medical cannabis may help, especially at night.
Recommended supplements for tinnitus
- Collagen Food Powder - with MSM plus Vitamin C
Take 1/2 teaspoon daily in juice or water – MSM (an organic sulfur) supports healthy adrenal function.
- Magnesium Powder
Take 1 teaspoon daily - Magnesium is an important mineral which assists with muscle pain and is known as the 'great relaxer'.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.
Know someone who might benefit from this article? Share it!
Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm MST
If it’s faulty or wrongly described, we’ll replace it.
you will have to see your health care practitioner to determine the cause of your tinnitus.
reduced blood supply to the brain will usually be accompanied by other symptoms such as vertigo and changes in vision. your doctor will investigate your symptoms and do the appropriate testing.
Nutrition Consultant for liverdoctor.com
Check with your doctor regarding whether any medications you are taking could be causing this problem.
It is important to be assessed by your doctor to try and identify the cause.
Avoid all dairy products and increase the amount of omega 3 sources in your diet such as mackerel salmon and tuna. Omega 3 fatty acids will improve the blood flow to the inner ear.
Avoid all saturated fats and fried foods; reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels will improve the cerebral circulation.
Nutritional Consultant for Liverdoctor.com
Please follow the recommendations in the article.
We recommend you eliminate ALL dairy foods, fatty foods and processed foods from your diet.
Try to increase your intake of omega-3 foods found in mackerel, salmon and tuna.
You would benefit from a three day juice fast. Include ingredients like beets, cabbage, wheatgrass, sprouts, lemon, carrot, celery and apple.
We recommend you take Bone Build caps 2 twice daily as antioxidants are essential to reduce free radical damage and inflammation in the inner ear.
This can be purchased here:http://shop.liverdoctor.com/bone-build.html
Let us know how you get on.
Nutritional Consultant for Liverdoctor.com